Mecoprop is a hormone-type phenoxy herbicide that is found in many household weed killers. We describe a case of a 55-year-old female who was admitted to the intensive care unit after an intentional overdose with paroxetine and mecoprop. She developed severe refractory distributive shock, hyperkalaemia, hyperthermia, coma with absent brainstem reflexes, haemorrhagic gastrointestinal ulcerations, anaemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia and marked coagulopathy. She was treated with intensive supportive management, mass transfusion, dantrolene, sodium bicarbonate and intravenous lipid emulsion. She eventually made a full recovery. This report highlights the dangers, clinical presentation and treatment of phenoxy herbicide intoxications.
Back to issue - Download PDF