Volume 27
Number 3
Jul 2019
Back to issue
Case Reports
R.V. Peelen, B.P. Ramakers, A. Koopmans

We describe the case of an industrial welder who died due to hypoxaemic hypoxia as a result of argon inhalation. Extensive resuscitation attempts could not prevent fatal organ damage, probably due to prolonged hypoxaemic hypoxia. Work-related accidents with industrial gases are rare. Nonetheless we feel that it is important to create awareness for this potentially life- threatening danger. Especially the combination of characteristics of the gases (colourless, tasteless and odourless), and the absence of alarming symptoms make it an easy to miss cause of a cardiac arrest. We describe the case in detail and discuss the danger of inert gases, especially argon, and their properties


Back to issue - Download PDF